Thursday, July 16, 2009

Addicted to Shopping

I have found my true weakness... no thanks to one of my best friends! I am guilty as charged for shopping at Gilt. This website will probably be the death of me. I find it odd that as a person who doesn't really like to shop at stores loves to order things off the internet blindly!! It doesn't make sense. How do you really enjoy buying things when you can't physically see it or try it on?

This website is truly a curse and a God-send. It is an online sample sale that allows people to log on every day at 12p.m Eastern to browse a handful of designers. This happens EVERY DAY, and if no one gets what I'm saying. I mean that your wallet is catastrophically empty! The only way to shop this website is if someone invites you. (Once again, this is either a curse or a God-send) I would bet that most people that love clothes and shoes would want to curse out the friend that gave them the link unless they're infinitely wealthy.

Is it the rush I get when I press on the button and submit my credit card number that makes me addicted to the website? Or the rush that I know that I will purchase the item before the next woman does? I know that there are limited items so if you do not act fast, your precious dress/blouse/pants/jewelery/handbags/housewares will be gone. Doesn't that sound traumatizing? Knowing that if you do not act fast, that once coveted item will be gone in a heartbeat?

The founders of this website hit the jackpot. Alexis and Alexandra... two highly intelligent woman with Harvard MBAs have left many women and men in poverty... Poverty with really nice digs. The poor souls who shop this website probably look at food at the grocery store and tell themselves they don't need to purchase groceries because they could spend that money at Gilt. Gilt has created an addiction to fashion fanatics.

I along with many of my friends stay glued to our computers at 11a.m (central time) just to see what sales are happening that day. Since I do not live in New York, I cannot just skip lunch and head over to the sample sale... it is conveniently and literally placed on my lap with my laptop. All I have to do is press a few buttons, and poof the item is mine.

Now what's the big problem you ask... why are you so broke? If you don't like the item why not exchange it or refund the money? Well, here's the kicker. Shipping is $11. They do combine shipping if you purchase more than one item that day, but usually your purchasing something that probably cost $7 to ship. When you receive your item, you usually have 14 days on some items to return it. Alright now here's another kicker: You can exchange it or only receive a credit. You do not get the refund because these women are smart! Where else can you spend that money? Nowhere because they want you to only shop on their website. Frankly it's genius.

Buyers be ware! Caveat... you will be wanting to poke your eyes out from this website. Some things you can't believe are on their website for so cheap. $400 for a Herve Leger dress? Gilt. $88 J Brand Jeans? Gilt. $255 for Christian Louboutin?? Gilt. You will also want to poke your eyes out so you won't be so addicted to this website. For those that don't have computers at their desk while working, thank your lucky stars.

Remember ladies... as 12p.m Eastern rolls around, turn off your Blackberrys or iPhones... hell anything that receives email alerts. We all unite to stop our bad spending habits and credit card debts! Or we can just purchase these wonderful items and look fabulous.

If you do find yourself in loads of debt, don't say I never warned you.

No comments: